Has Apple given up on Aperture?

I'm wondering if Apple has given up on their photo editing software. Lightroom 4 is clearly ahead of Aperture 3 in speed, usability and feature set. Google just purchased Nik Software. Apple has been silent on on a possible Aperture 4. Has anyone heard any different? Tell me I'm wrong.


I do believe that their entire Pro Apps team works on it a lot. Aperture 3 isn't that old from my understanding.

Lightroom is probably ahead of it sometimes, but Aperture with the right machine, does wonders. There's no other app I'd like to use. It has a ton of functionality that you don't always see at a glance.

Nik software on the other hand, is at the top of it all. Using Nik plugins in Aperture or Lightroom is a dream, and tops off their functionality, makes me wonder if there really is anything else Aperture actually needs.

Is there functionality in Aperture you need that it doesn't have?A3 is almost three years old since it's initial release. A4 may be just around the corner but Apple has made no mention of it anywhere.

While LR3 was comparable, LR4 has certainly taken the lead. I have used A3 for a couple years and recently started using LR. It is much faster and smoother. I have a top end iMac in all specs that is less than a year old and A3 is not that smooth on it.

I agree that Nik is amazing. I was kind of hoping Apple would snap them up and integrate their tech into Aperture.


I was thinking of an update now that I think of it. They usually carry out updates for a long time before releasing a full, new version. Aperture version 4 would be a landmark, they don't go willy nilly releasing new FULL releases like Microsoft with Windows, or Samsung with phones, lol.

Yeah, I'm glad that Aperture is at least INCLUDED in the plugin roster for Nik. Used to be scarce until they gained mass popularity.

Check out some rumor sites, they're correct 9 times out of 10
(AppleInsider.com) always throws out news about pro apps. I feel like I've heard SOMETHING recently about Aperture, probably an update like I said, but check it out and stay posted.